Pages

The adventures of a fifty-something into the world of crafting!

Monday 4 April 2011

Voila!
The Celtic Knotwork Necklace!!

Yesterday afternoon, I sat down to put the necklace together, the pattern included the diagram for the design, so should have been straightforward. Being Welsh and think of my self as a true Celt - even my wedding ring is a Celtic Silver Celtic Knotwork style.. so I am very aware of the over and under of the design.. what could possibly go wrong?   I printed out a separate sheet of the design, found a round cork table mat so that the pins would hold it as I put it together.. and got working.. the cord was a few inches too long, and I was about to start undoing it from one end to get it to finish at the right point.  I unpinned it, measured it again, and it was spot on, at 48 inches.. I went back to the pattern.. and there it was, 'print out the pattern, and ensure that it is at least 5 inches high' and mine was not. So I spent an hour playing around with the size, and eventually after about ten printouts, I had my pattern at the correct size.. and so to take two of the pattern.  It was quite tricky, as I  had used yarn that was hand spun, and 100% wool by Briggs & Little in Plum (which looks Purple to me), almost too thick for this job.. but here is the finished product:
I am very happy with this necklace, and can't wait to have the occasion to wear it.

Last evening I made a cord to make another necklace, this time using two strands of Red Heart Luster Sheen® fine yarn.. in a gorgeous 'Cherry Red'. So that is my challenge today, is to put it together, and hope to add the photo later on.

And here is the Red Celtic Knotwork Necklace:
I think it is far more striking than the original one I made.

All this was completed while watching the movie Shirley Valentine from the late 80's.. why do you ask was I watching this movie.. well my sister told me last evening that she is going to Trinidad and Tobago for Easter, and I did not respond well to her news. So Shirley Valentine was my escape while putting this necklace together, so I could pretend in my head that I was in the sun, looking at sea and sand. And reminiscning for my summer working in Corfu: I too was young once!

No comments:

Post a Comment